Apple pie is a beloved dessert that has been a staple in American cuisine for centuries. From family gatherings to holidays, apple pie has been a staple in households across America, loved for its sweet and comforting flavor. In this article, we will be sharing a classic American apple pie recipe that you can make in the comfort of your own home.
Brief History of Apple Pie in America
The history of apple pie in America dates back to the 1600s when early settlers brought their love of pie to the New World. During the colonial era, apple pie was a popular dessert that was often served at special occasions and holidays. Over time, apple pie became a symbol of American ingenuity and resourcefulness as settlers would make pies with the apples they grew in their own orchards. In the 19th century, apple pie became a staple in American households, and it has since been a beloved dessert that is synonymous with American culture.
This is not to say aren’t other recipes that are peculiar to American culture but the apple pie just has a dear place in their hearts.
Importance of Apple Pie in American Culture
Apple pie is more than just a dessert; it is a cultural icon that symbolizes American heritage. Whether it is served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or enjoyed on its own, apple pie brings a sense of comfort and familiarity to those who eat it. For many, apple pie represents the tastes and smells of home, and it is often associated with childhood memories and family traditions.
Overview of the Classic American Apple Pie Recipe
In this classic American apple pie recipe, we will be using Granny Smith apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, all-purpose flour, and unsalted butter to create the filling. For the crust, we will be using all-purpose flour, salt, unsalted butter, and ice water. This recipe is simple to follow and is sure to become a family favorite. The ingredients and steps are easily customizable, so you can make the pie your own.
For the pie crust:
- 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of ice water
For the filling:
- 6-7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Start by making the pie crust. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the chilled, diced butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to incorporate the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together into a ball. Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. In a large bowl, mix together the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the pie crust dough halves into a circle that is slightly larger than your pie dish. Place the rolled-out dough into the pie dish, trimming the edges if necessary.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pie dish, making sure to spread it evenly. Dot the top of the apples with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the other pie crust dough half and place it on top of the apple mixture. Use a fork to crimp the edges of the pie crust together, sealing the edges and preventing the filling from spilling out during baking.
- Cut several slits into the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape. Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Making a classic American apple pie is a fun and satisfying experience that is sure to bring joy to your family and friends. This recipe is simple, yet delicious, and is sure to become a staple in your household. Whether you’re making it for a special occasion or just for a sweet treat, this classic American apple pie is sure to be a hit. So, get in the kitchen, gather the ingredients, and get ready to enjoy the taste of home-baked goodness.
Do you know you can also find satisfaction to all your cravings for homemade meals on the Local Chow app?