When it comes to shopping for healthy and local food the farmers’ market is the go-to destination. It provides access to fresh fruits and vegetables, locally grown crops, meat, fish, baked items, cheese, and other products that are often hard to find at traditional grocery stores. However, not everyone has access to a farmers market or the time to travel there. That is where REKO Rings come in.
REKO rings are an innovative new way to shop local and support small-scale farmers while getting fresh, organic produce right at home. It goes beyond the physical farmers market.
The idea is simple: An online platform where farmers showcase their farm produce for consumers to buy. Each REKO Ring contains a variety of fruits and vegetables that are grown locally by small-scale farmers. As a customer, you can make orders, and your order arrives at your doorstep or a designated pickup point with everything you need to create delicious meals for your family.
REKO rings in the United States
Since its inception in Finland, the REKO ring system has widely spread across Europe and is now widely present in the United States. The REKO ring system has been implemented in the United States by many farmers’ markets and is growing rapidly. It can be found in several cities across the country including Utah, Denver, Washington, and many more cities.
As a result of this growth, farmers and consumers in the U.S. can form REKO rings in their local environment and carry out transactions online.
How It Works
With REKO rings, you can have your farmers’ market delivered right to your doorstep, anytime and anywhere.
- The first step is to download an app like Local Chow where a REKO ring operates.
- The next step is to register for a REKO ring around your local environment by creating a profile.
- Once you’ve joined a REKO ring, you will be able to view all the products from Local farmers in your ring directly from the app.
- The next step is to place an order. When you place an order, the farmer selling the item gets a notification of the order, and they process your order.
- Delivery of the order is made based on the agreed pattern which is either drop off or pick up.
Find and shop from the nearest REKO ring in your environment using Local Chow.
Benefits of REKO Rings
REKO Rings go beyond the physical farmers’ market. It allows us all to enjoy fresh produce and other products from local farmers right at our front doorsteps—or even on the go!
There are many benefits to buying fresh farm produce from a REKO ring near you.
- You get to choose from several farmers in a single REKO ring.
- You can purchase fresh produce directly from the farm, saving you money and giving you quality products.
- There are no middlemen involved in the process of selling your products so you don’t have to worry about them taking their share of what you’re selling.
- You can also enjoy the convenience of buying fresh produce without having to travel across the country just to get it.
- Buying from a REKO ring means supporting local farmers, and this is always a good idea because they will be able to continue their work if more people buy their products rather than those shipped in from faraway places.
- Farmers get paid more for their products since they don’t have to ship their products very far. Meaning that they can afford better equipment and hire more workers to produce even higher quality produce.
- Food in REKO rings travels short distances to the consumer. This means less food is wasted because it doesn’t have to travel long distances before it gets to you.
- Less energy is used to transport your food once it’s been picked and packed at a local farm. This makes REKO good for the environment too!
For those of us who can’t make it to the farmers’ market, REKO rings are popping up in many locations. It’s a way for people to get fresh produce and food from local farmers without having to leave their homes.
So what are you waiting for? Join a REKO ring near you and start enjoying the freshest food in your own home. It’s as easy as that!