Chili is a classic American dish that is warm, filling, and satisfying. It is a versatile dish that can be served as a main meal or as a side dish. This article will provide you with the best homemade chili recipe you can easily make at home.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can of kidney beans (14.5 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn (14.5 oz), drained
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
Optional ingredients for variation:
- 1 can of black beans (14.5 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce
Explanation of ingredients’ significance to the dish:
Ground beef provides the protein and the base for the chili. The onion, garlic, and bell pepper add flavor and texture to the dish. The diced tomatoes provide a slightly acidic flavor to balance out the richness of the ground beef. The kidney beans and corn add extra fiber and texture to the chili. The chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper are the spices that give the chili its signature taste.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the saucepan and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Stir to combine.
- If desired, add the optional ingredients such as black beans, jalapeno pepper, or hot sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and let the chili simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Explanation of important preparation tips:
- When browning the ground beef, make sure to break it into small pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Chopping the vegetables into small pieces will ensure they cook evenly and provide a consistent texture to the chili.
- If you prefer a thicker chili, you can add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to the saucepan.
- If you prefer a sweeter chili, you can add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to the saucepan.
Cooking time and temperature:
The chili should cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
Explanation of how to know when the chili is done:
The chili is done when the flavors have had a chance to meld together and the chili has thickened to your desired consistency.
Suggestions for toppings:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
Sides to serve with chili:
- Baked potatoes
Serving suggestions for leftovers:
- Reheat the chili in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve the chili as a topping for hot dogs or bratwurst.
- Use the chili as a base for chili mac or chili cheese fries.
This recipe provides a classic and delicious homemade chili that is sure to warm you up on a cold day. The ingredients and spices come together to create a rich and flavorful dish that is both filling and satisfying. Whether you serve it as a main meal or as a side dish, this chili is sure to be a hit. So, why not give it a try and see for yourself why this is the best homemade chili recipe?